Wednesday 29 September 2010

What is my practice?

...the first question posed to us during our first class for this module. Although this should be simple to answer, it definitely wasn't! My job title and responsibilities have changed over the summer and now has much more of a focus on 'social media'. I am now an 'E-Marketing Team Leader'. I'm not particularly enthralled with the change in job title - the shift from designer to marketeer is not really how I see myself, however it is only a title and ultimately I still 'design'.

With that in mind, my response to the question is that I am a 'problem solver' - it is my responsibility to come up with new media design solutions (however print design is still within the job description). Essentially I feel that through the natural progression of my career, I am slowly moving farther away from 'hands-on' creativity, however ideas are ultimately what my job is about.

A suggestion from Rob to consider aspects of social design through such things as The Royal Society of Arts project briefs might help me feel I can put some value back into my design.

Somethings to consider for future: www.thersa.org/projects/design/student-design-awards/briefs

This led to a discussion as to whether I am a reactive or proactive problem solver, to which I believe I am both.

What are the things that matter to me in my practice?

It is definitely a common reaction for me to try to make sense of something through design as was indicated through my studies in 'Introduction to Graphic Arts'

No comments:

Post a Comment