Thursday 15 September 2011

Exploring sound/colour association through play

I thought it would be interesting to link colour and sound as a beginning point for my final MA study.

Here is a basic keyboard using colour to symbolise keys - the idea based on various research that I have found that sound could be symbolised through colour, although I have literally only used a basic set of keys and related it to a basic colour chart.

From here I thought it would be interesting to see how some basic music could be visualised through colour.

Doe a deer looks like this:



From here I felt that a sound/colour game would be a project that could be symbolise what my practice  means to me - something playful and simple that involves my audience in the experience as well.

Initial thoughts for the style and medium of the application:

The idea being that I develop an app based on a circular timeline.

I have since done some research and found some very similar ideas. I absolutely adore the simple beauty and physicality of the Ocarino app by Smule:


There is also the very visual app by Bloom:


And the far more technical app, but possibly too technical to be as visually interesting app by Synthpod:



So nothing completely like my idea which attempts to relate colour to sound, but some fantastic quality applications by some very creative and clever developers.

What I love about where I am heading with my idea now is the exploration this allows me. I am looking forward to seeing how this all progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment