Monday 16 November 2009

Graphic Design that makes me happy :)

As the viewer
As the viewer of graphic design, some of the qualities that make me happy can include (but is not limited to):
  • Inspiration - when a piece of work really 'speaks' to me and prompts new thoughts and ideas. Often I find that really creative and colourful artwork inspires me
  • Fun - Life is too serious. I feel happy when an element of fun is a contributory factor to design; I think this is what I like most about what I have seen of Airside's work. It is also why I like animated films.
  • Colour - I tend to prefer work that has subtle amounts of bold and bright colour, although this doesn't have to be the case
  • Imaginative - I tend to like magical things, I really enjoy design that feeds my imagination
  • Witty - Humour or parody in design makes me feel included. This always has the effect of making me feel happy (unless the joke doesn't work)
  • Clarity - I am definitely happier when a complicated message is simplified for me
As the creator
As the creator of graphic design, my needs differ and I feel happiest when:
  • I feel like I'm adding something to the message or enabling the user to understand more clearly
  • I'm set a really challenging task or have a really difficult client but overcome the obstacles and satisfy everyone's needs
  • The client respects my opinion and doesn't try to entirely control the creative process
  • I feel I'm contributing to a worthy cause
  • I can't find too much to criticize about my own work after the project has been completed
Graphic Design that makes me unhappy :(

Quite often when I do not like graphic design, it is due to a number of factors which can include:
  • Bad grammar and spelling - I don't think a rough piece of work has to have perfect spelling and grammar but a finished piece should. A piece of work should be checked sufficiently to eliminate as many errors as possible
  • Too many different fonts in a design
  • Mixed or unclear messages
  • WordArt or Word in general used for graphic design

No comments:

Post a Comment