Saturday 14 November 2009

Week 7: Defining your aims, Rob Kettell

This week we discussed in more detail manifestos and it could mean. It could be a rant, a statement of intent, it could be very broad or very personal. I need to consider my influences and reasons why I am influenced and the properties I want my work to have. In sum I need to create my own yardstick with which to measure myself by.
We watched a number of short videos by well known designers/artists. One that particularly stood out to me was Paula Scher and her concept of 'serious play'. The idea behind this is that truly great pieces of work come about through an almost childlike process and that seriousness and solemnity are two very different things. To be serious is to be earnest or thoughtful, whereas solumn work is the kind designers knock out ten to a dozen, stealing ideas from others, or working to a confined set of rules.
This spoke to me as I am aware most of what I do in my current employment is very solemn - I have design and brand guidelines to adhere to that are very rigid, but the designs I enjoy of others are usually lighthearted and fun.
From this I decided to build my motion piece around the idea of 'the child in me loves' in a similar style to my visual influence - Airside Creative Agency.
For next week Rob has asked for us to write a piece of text entitled 'Graphic Design that makes me happy' which we will decipher next week in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment