Saturday 28 November 2009

Week 9: Coming up with a 'thesis statement', John Hammersley

Although a number of us had been off ill the previous week, John kindly briefly went through the class from the previous week. We swopped our 'Graphic Design that makes me happy' text with members that had been present the previous week for them to underline 3 key words that feature within the text. The idea is to almost summarise in a statement the basic idea behind the text and giving us a possible choice as a thesis statement to base our manifesto on.
My 3 key words outlined by Will were:
  • Happy
  • Fun
  • Witty
All rather upbeat and lighthearted. Although I don't at this stage know how to turn this into a thesis statement, it does make me realise that I need to reflect this positivity in my manifesto.
We also looked at the finished designs of those who were in the previous week. Some really interesting pieces and through discussion and Johns critical eye, it became clear that we have to consider all our decisions regarding design thoroughly before implementing to ensure the final piece says exactly what we mean it to and doesn't contradict.

No comments:

Post a Comment