Friday 16 October 2009

Week 3: Intention, Context and Audience, Rob Kettell

This week during class we discussed further the differences (or not) between artists and artisans and through discussion I realised that the lines are not so defined. The reading material that was given to us from the previous week held some subjective opinions on the subject which led into a discussion on subjectivity and objectivity. I realised that I need to be more subjective in my opinions and discover my position on matters such as what makes good design.
However, objectively as a group we came up with a number of things that we agreed makes a good piece of design:
Clarity
Attention grabbing
Memorable
Relevant to audience
Fit for purpose
This led to consideration of our manifesto. What is the intention and context of our manifesto? What is its relevance and who is its audience? These are not questions I am yet ready to answer so I need to look at the bigger values – what kind of work do I want to engage in or contribute to?

No comments:

Post a Comment